Today was one of those days when you need everything to go smooth but things don’t. The morning started out really well and I was making great time writing new code on my IBM ThinkPad T61 Vista machine and then I needed to transfer my ASP.NET 2.0 Ajax projects over to my VPC image to integrate my SharePoint custom web service and WMI code and that’s when nothing worked correctly and my day basically started to waste away. The VPC image is fairly new but I thought it was in good working condition because that’s where I had built and tested successfully an ASP.NET Web Service project but not true. When I moved over all my ASP.NET 2.0 Ajax projects and tried to open them that are when things started not to work. The first problem I had was not being able to open my projects correctly but that was an easy fix because I just installed the ASPAjaxExtSetup.msi file (ASP.NET Ajax 1.0 Extensions) but the problems that I had after that was what took so long to fix.
The projects that I copied over and opened or any ASP.NET projects created from the VPC image had the below error messages. The error messages only showed up and prevented me from compiling when I was in HTML Source view. If I was in the Design View everything would compile and publish but the only Toolbox that I had was HTML.
The language referenced by the Language attribute is not supported by Visual Studio IntelliSense and statement completion. Changing the language name when the file is open requires that you close and re-open the file
Unrecognized namespace ASP
I’ve never seen the error messages before and when I went searching the internet I couldn’t find anything that helped me solve the problem. Then I started comparing what products were installed for each Visual Studio 2005. You can do this by opening Visual Studio and then clicking Help->About Microsoft Visual Studio and looking in the Installed Products textbox. To make things easier I clicked the Copy Info button and pasted everything in notepad. After doing a little comparison I noticed that “Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005” was installed on my Vista version but not on my VPC image but everything else looked the same except for the Vista specific patches. Since that was the only major difference I decided to install the missing product on my VPC image and 30 to 45 minutes later the install was done but now when trying to open the projects I got error message saying the projects were unsupported with the installed version. This was an easy one; I just needed to install SP1 for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005.
I found the SP1 for VS 2005 and started the installation and everything was going great and it was almost done and then a new error came up saying it ran out of virtual memory and gave me the below error message and link.
Error 1718: File name of file was rejected by digital signature policy.
This error message seemed pretty familiar but when I looked through all my notes and blog posts I couldn’t find anything which surprised me a little because usually I write things down so I don’t have to trouble the same problem more than once. Enough about that and back to the error, I took the advice of the article and downloaded the Windows 2003 Server patch and installed it on the VPC image and then reran SP1 for VS 2005. An hour later the installation finished without any errors (hooray!) and then when I opened the projects all the errors were gone and everything appeared to be working correctly. This was a crazy mess but I’m just glad that I was able to fix it and didn't have to rebuild the VPC image.
Hope everyone has a good weekend and if you’re in the Reston, VA area come out to the Nova code camp on Saturday, November 17th and hang out with everyone for the day. Some of the sessions look killer and I can’t wait to attend some and speak at mine. Below is a link to the website and it has all the information that you need.